Health Services Accounting Manager
Working at the County of Sonoma offers expansive opportunities for growth and development, the ability to be a part of a challenging and rewarding work environment, and the satisfaction of knowing you're working to better our communities. You can also look forward to flexible work arrangements and excellent benefits* including:
- A hybrid telework schedule that meets the needs of our staff, department operations, and the communities we serve may be available depending on the assignment
- Eligibility for a salary increase after 1,040 hours (6 months when working full-time) for good work performance; eligibility for a salary increase for good performance every year thereafter, until reaching the top of the salary range
- Competitive vacation and sick leave accruals, 12 paid holidays, and an additional 8 floating holiday hours per year
- County paid 100% premium contribution for the majority of employee-only and employee + family health plan options
- An annual Staff Development/Wellness Benefit allowance of up to $1,700 and ongoing education/training opportunities
- County contribution to a Health Reimbursement Arrangement to help fund post-retirement employee health insurance/benefits
- Retirement fully integrated with Social Security
- May be eligible for up to 8 weeks (320 hours) of Paid Parental Leave after 12 months of County employment
The Health Services Accounting Manager is responsible for managing, directing, and planning the accounting functions for DHS, including grant compliance and invoicing. The Accounting Manager will supervise up to 11 Accountants and oversee the day-to-day activities in the Fiscal Unit. This position works closely with Public Health, Behavioral Health, and Homelessness Services Division management to monitor expenses and revenues to ensure that the divisions meet budgets and adequate funding is available to perform services in the community. Other responsibilities of the position include:
- Assuring the quality and accuracy of accounting and financial support services and documents provided to internal managers, the County of Sonoma, state and federal regulatory agencies, and other appropriate organizations
- Assisting in the coordination of the department's quarterly reports and technical adjustments
- Assisting the Chief Financial Officer in fiscal activities during and related to closing the fiscal year
- Acting as an accounting liaison with the Information Systems and Purchasing teams
- Facilitating staff meetings and training staff on various accounting issues
- Performing complex fiscal activities, including those for capital projects
In addition to being a self-starter who can work well under deadlines, the ideal candidate will possess:
- Proven fiscal management experience in a complex organization, preferably in governmental finance and accounting
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills, with the ability to promote effective communication and a positive, collaborative work environment
- Comprehension of fiscal workflows and an understanding of fund accounting
- Experience in contract and grant management
- Familiarity with state and federal laws related to Health Services funding
- A high degree of knowledge of Microsoft Office software
- Good analytical and critical thinking skills and the ability to present information to high level management staff
- Experience developing creative solutions to administrative and management challenges
- A commitment to organizational efficiencies and the ability to effectively implement ongoing quality improvement initiatives
- A degree in accounting or finance is desired, but not required
The Department of Health Services
DHS is one of the County's largest and most complex departments, consisting of the Administration, Behavioral Health, and Public Health Divisions. The department has a recommended budget for Fiscal Year 2023-2024 of $369.4 million and 639.33 Full Time Equivalent staff. DHS is driven by its mission to promote, protect, and ensure access to services that support the health, recovery, and well-being of all in Sonoma County. These ideas form the basis for how the department operates and delivers services:
- Excellence - DHS strives to create a culture of learning, innovation, and data-driven practices to guide internal operations, improve performance, and build staff expertise
- Collaboration - DHS engages and works collaboratively with partners, communities, and staff to maximize its impact across the County
- Equity - DHS works to reduce disparities and ensure fairness, compassion, and social justice
For more information regarding DHS's services please visit the Department of Health Services.
About Sonoma County
The County of Sonoma offers a rare and compelling array of scenic, recreational, and geographic characteristics that include over 200 award winning wineries, majestic redwoods, inspiring coastline and beaches, and the vibrant Russian River. Encompassing over one million acres of land and water, rich with agriculture, parks, campsites, lakes, and open spaces, the County is home to over 500,000 residents and offers a wide variety of art and music festivals, farmers' markets, and concert venues. Local schools continually rank high on California's Academic Performance Index, and the Santa Rosa Junior College and Sonoma State University offer higher education opportunities.
Working at the County of Sonoma offers expansive opportunities for growth and development, the ability to be a part of a challenging and rewarding work environment, and the satisfaction of knowing you're working to better the County's communities. Please visit www.sonomacountyconnections.org for more information about Sonoma County as a place to live, work, and build your career legacy.
*Salary is negotiable within the established range. Benefits described herein do not represent a contract and may be changed without notice. Additional information can be found in the Salary Resolution (SalRes) and our Employee Benefits Directory.
This recruitment is being conducted to fill a Health Services Accounting Manager position. The Civil Service title for this job classification is Departmental Accounting Manager. This employment list may also be used to fill future full-time, part-time, or extra-help (temporary) vacancies as they occur during the active status of the list. Qualified County employees who wish to be considered for future vacancies should consider applying to this recruitment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Selection Procedure & Some Helpful Tips When Applying
- Your application information and your responses to the supplemental questions are evaluated and taken into consideration throughout the entire selection process.
- You should list all employers and positions held within the last ten years in the work history section of your application. Be as thorough as possible when responding to the supplemental questions.
- You may include history beyond ten years if related to the position for which you are applying. If you held multiple positions with one employer, list out each position separately.
- Failure to follow these instructions may impact your competitiveness in this process or may result in disqualification.