IN HOME SUPPORT SPECIALIST
IN HOME SUPPORT SPECIALIST
Part time afternoon/evening & weekend work in your own community working with people with intellectual disabilities in their homes and in the community.
Experience working with individuals with disabilities a plus. Multiple positions available in Hanover, Goochland and Powhatan counties. To apply visit www.gpcsb.org, Job Opportunities,
or call 804-657-2047. Open until filled. EOE.
JOB EXPECTATIONS AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
• Develop and implement person-centered plans with behavioral objectives for each
• Train and support people with intellectual and developmental disabilities in learning daily
life activities and skills to become an active part of their community.
• Maintain a safe, supportive, and therapeutic environment to encourage the consumer
and maintain dignity and respect for the consumer.
• Accompany and provide transportation to the consumer in community and public outings
and related activities.
• Provide assistance and training to consumers in community
settings to include but not limited to shopping centers, recreational facilities and pools.
• Administer medication as appropriate and directed by authorized personnel.
• Complete required reports, forms and other documentation as required.
• Maintain client records and incident reports in the Electronic Health Record and
administrative records as required.
• Conduct consumer/family quarterly meetings for program involvement and explanation.
• Utilize the person-centered service model in working with the consumer.
• Assists individual in connecting with community resources, individuals and volunteer
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals, organizations,
and other agency personnel.
• Report any behavior issues regarding a consumer to supervisor and family.
• Attend periodic trainings and other staff meetings as scheduled.
• Shop with consumers for supplies
• To perform other assigned duties as necessary within established policy and
High School Diploma or GED
Non-specified, but previous experience working with individual with intellectual or
developmental disorders desirable
Position will be required to possess a valid Virginia driver's license
Ability to obtain Medication Administration Certification
Must submit to pre-hire criminal background check
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of educational and training needs of people with intellectual and
developmental disabilities with knowledge in instructional, training, and teaching
• Knowledge of consumers with intellectual and developmental disabilities and behavioral
• Knowledge of behavioral management methods.
• Knowledge of Goochland Powhatan Community Services policies and procedures.
• Ability to complete daily reports.
• Ability to safely operate a vehicle.
• Ability to work with persons with disabilities and handle a variety of behaviors.
• Ability to tolerate verbal and possible physical abuse while remaining calm, attentive,
patient and maintaining a professional demeanor.
• Ability to adapt to frequent changes in job sites, job duties, and assigned individuals.
• Ability to work independently, take initiative, and make emergency judgments.
• Ability to handle emergency situations without direct supervision.
• Ability to perform appropriate crisis intervention involving consumer behavior.
• Ability to communicate with consumers and consumer’s family members or guardians.
• Ability to complete required training including Crisis Intervention/Emergency Behavior
Support and in-service First Aid and CPR training.
• Ability to work under pressure; meet inflexible deadlines; set priorities; and deal
diplomatically with difficult individuals.
• Ability to access internet and use appropriate applications including Microsoft Word and
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of consumer’s information.
Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform the
essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodation is made to their known
limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer
undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
Work environment will typically be working in the community (inside and outside activities)
and will include exposure to road hazards usually experience in driving in rural, county
surroundings, interstate highway driving, including exposure to weather and temperature
extremes that may affect driving conditions as well as walking to assist passengers. May
involve exposure to aggressive verbal and physical behavior, and exposure to infectious
diseases from others.
Sitting: 10%; Standing/Walking 65%; Driving: 25%
Average Weight Required to lift or carry at any one time: Occasionally assisting consumers
and their weight as needed, 50-100 pounds.