Public Health Educator
Minnesota Merit System Employment Opportunity
Goodhue County Health & Human Services
Invites Applications for The Position of:
Public Health Educator (Ship)
Come join the public service team at Goodhue County Health & Human Services! You will be a part of skilled, caring and knowledgeable HHS professionals whose talents and contributions promote, strengthen and protect the health of individuals, families and communities in Goodhue County every single day!
Kinds of Work:
This public health educator will serve as one of two Live Well Goodhue County Coordinators at GCHHS. This provisional position is dependent on grant funding. Live Well Goodhue County is supported by the Statewide Health Improvement Partnership (SHIP), Minnesota Department of Health. The mission of Live Well Goodhue County is to improve the health and well-being of our residents by making it easier to be active, eat nutritious foods and live tobacco-free. We focus on chronic disease prevention and promoting health equity by implementing effective community-based health promotion strategies with a focus on policy, systems, and environmental change.
Examples of Work:
• Engages community members and partner organization to select activities and interventions that will promote community health in Goodhue County. Writes Live Well Goodhue County work plans.
• Works with partners to implement strategies in schools, work sites, community, and health care settings.
• Develops health education materials and presentations. Provides health education to the community.
• Advocates for, develops, supports and/or implements policy, systems and environmental changes in the community. Makes recommendations regarding city and county ordinances (sidewalks, tobacco, etc.).
• Gathers and analyzes data for purposes of assessment, engagement, performance management and/or evaluation. Participates in the work of the Goodhue County Community Health Assessment Committee.
• Works with other GCHHS staff and contractors assigned to Live Well Goodhue County.
• Oversees process community partner award funding. Assists other GCHHS staff in managing overall grant budget and preparing budgets and invoices.
• Assists as staff support to the Community Leadership Team (CLT) and participates in CLT meetings.
• Assists in creating Live Well Goodhue County marketing and promotional materials.
• Conducts social marketing and outreach related to Live Well Goodhue County priorities.
• Develops partnerships in the community. Provides technical assistance to community partners (such as assisting partners with community engagement or with preparing outside grant applications).
• Maintains related records and documentation and prepares reports.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of health promotion principles, policies, and practices especially related to physical activity, nutrition, mental well-being, and tobacco.
• Ability to communicate orally and in writing with clients, co-workers, and the community at large.
• Ability to solicit input from individuals and organizations for improving the health of a community.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with individuals from all cultural, occupational and socioeconomic backgrounds.
• Facilitates communication among individuals, groups and organizations.
• Addresses the diversity of individuals and populations when implementing policies, programs, and services that affect the health of a community.
• Collaborates with community partners (e.g. participates in committees, shares data and information, connects people to resources).
• Able to adapt to frequent changes in environment and schedule in a fast paced work setting.
• Demonstrates ability to identify and solve problems creatively.
• Demonstrates ability to perform duties independently as appropriate.
• Demonstrates ability to strive for continuous quality improvement.
• Keyboarding, word processing and computer documentation.
• Recognizes and responds to priorities in job responsibilities.
• Seeks guidance/direction as necessary for the successful completion of job duties/responsibilities.
• Baccalaureate in public health, community planning, or related field or
• Graduate degree in public health, community planning, or related field preferred
• Experience working with community based initiatives or collaboration in the area of health promotion.
• Must have a valid driver's license
The pay is $28.12/hour. Part time 20 hours/week. The County's comprehensive benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, health savings account, employer-paid life insurance, short and long-term disability insurance, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave and 12 paid holidays per year. County employees are eligible for the Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program.
Completion of a Minnesota Merit System application is required - visit: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/mnmeritsystem/default.cfm (or click on the ''apply'' button).
Deadline for receipt of applications is August 3, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.
GOODHUE COUNTY HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER