Support Staff Technician, Winona, MN Full time and Part time
Love + medicine is who we are, it's what we do, it's why people want to work here. If you’re looking for a job to love, apply today.
The Support Staff Technician (SST) facilitates the flow of specimens into the lab by using current specimen collection techniques including venipuncture and swab collections, and specimen processing techniques. Duties of the SST may include collection, location of draw centrifuging, tracking, Point of Care testing, and various other tasks related to timely and accurate pre-analytical preparation of specimens. The SST may assist Education Coordinator with hands-on phlebotomy and work flow training. The SST interacts with clinic and hospital staff, as well as patients and family members of Gundersen Health System while ensuring excellent customer service and patient confidentiality.
1. Responsible for the collection handling and receipt of blood specimens for laboratory testing by venipuncture, swab, or skin puncture. Follows established procedures to accurately identify and label all specimens.
2. May process specimens at some locations to prepare for transport following established procedures, reducing the likelihood for introduction of pre-analytical variation or to assist in the timely testing of specimens.
3. May assist Education Coordinator with hands-on phlebotomy and work flow training.
4. Works with Gundersen Health System staff by answering phone calls about specimen collection requirements and other lab related questions to provide accurate information to facilitate quick access to lab information as needed.
5. Works with other health care professionals and patients to perform all SST functions to aid in accurate diagnosis and treatment of patients.
6. Works with Patient Business Services, Laboratory Information Systems, and ordering providers to accurately order and bill for laboratory tests, utilizing the laboratory information system and billing systems.
7. Works with patients, families, and Gundersen Health System staff to ensure patient comfort and confidentiality in all aspects of the job to provide excellent customer satisfaction.
8. Others duties as assigned by laboratory supervisor or manager.
Education and Learning:
High School Diploma or equivalency
A copy of the applicant's/employee's diploma and/or transcript as confirmation of the education requirement must be provided at time of hire.
High School Diploma or equivalency + completion of a Certified Nursing Assistant program or a graduate of a Medical Assistant Program
No experience required.
No experience required. Phlebotomy, Clinical Lab or Health Care
License and Certifications:
Driver's License is required for those transporting specimens
Certified Phlebotomy Tech (CPT)
Age Specific Population Served:
Infant (less than 1 year)
Pediatric (1 - 12 years)
Adolescent (13 - 17 years)
Adult (18 - 64 years)
Geriatric (65 years & older)
Category I - All Employees in this job title have a reasonably anticipated risk of occupational exposure to blood and/or other potentially infectious materials.
Exposed to infectious diseases.
Physical Requirements/Demands Of The Position:
Static Standing Continually (67-100% or 8 hours)
Stooping/Bending Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours)
Reaching - Shoulder Level Frequently (34-66% or 5.5 hours)
Reaching - Below Shoulder Frequently (34-66% or 5.5 hours)
Lifting - Other Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours) Number of lbs 25-50
If you need assistance with any portion of the application or have questions about the position, please contact HR-Recruitment@gundersenhealth.org or call 608-775-0267
Equal Opportunity Employer