About the Foundation
Mat-Su Health Foundation (MSHF) is the official business name of Valley Hospital Association, Inc., which shares ownership in Mat-Su Regional Medical Center. In this capacity, MSHF board members and representatives actively participate in the governance of Mat-Su’s community hospital to protect the community’s interest in this important healthcare institution. The MSHF mission is to improve the health and wellness of Alaskans living in the Mat-Su and the tools it uses include grantmaking, convening of local partners, and policy change. The foundation’s work has resulted in significant improvements in systems that support the health of Mat-Su residents in areas such as behavioral health, child welfare, crisis response, community connections, workforce development, transportation, housing, and senior services.
The Communications Manager supports the organization’s mission, vision and values with strategic marketing and communications planning and implementation. This position reports to to the Chief Communications Officer.
• Leads the development and implementation of annual communications and marketing plans that provide information about the foundation’s values, programs, resources, and successes to various audiences, including media, board members, community members, grantees, funding partners and the general public. Makes adjustments to plans as needed.
• Identifies, researches, writes and edits news stories, press releases, columns, opinion pieces, case studies, newsletters, blogs, white papers, speeches, and presentations to promote understanding of the foundation’s grantmaking and policy work through compelling, data-driven storytelling across traditional and digital media outlets.
• Conceptualizes print, audio, video, and digital advertising in partnership with foundation team members and consultants/contractors.
• Manages MSHF social media platforms and makes regular updates to the foundation’s website.
• Manages photo archives, identifies gaps, and assists other team members in identifying and deploying available assets.
• Travels locally in the community up to 25% of time.
• Ability to build relationships and trust with internal and external audiences.
• Ability to translate complicated technical and/or scholarly information to sector and mainstream audiences using clear, accessible prose.
• Ability to learn quickly and stay flexible and highly organized in a fast-paced environment with competing demands while maintaining integrity of work product.
• Collaborative work style and advanced interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated writing and editing skills across a wide variety of mediums.
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the use of email marketing and social. media platforms to advance communications efforts.
• Well-developed research and analytical skills.
• Excellent proofreading skills.
Education & Experience:
• A minimum of eight years’ professional experience in corporate communications, public relations, journalism or marketing.
• Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications or related field preferred.
• Experience creating compelling content for traditional, digital and social media.
• Media relations and story pitching experience.
• Experience in graphic design and/or managing graphic design work highly desirable.
• Computer literacy in Microsoft Office.
• Experience in healthcare or philanthropy communications desirable.
Other duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Work Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Work environment: Employee will be working in a typical office environment with offices, moderate temperature, and equipment noise.
Physical demands: Employee will be spending considerable time at a desk using a computer terminal and using personal vehicle to travel to various locations in the community [include travel if pertains to job responsibilities].
EEO Statement: Mat-Su Health Foundation is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Salary Range: $74,000 - $78,000 with full benefits