Behavioral Health Associate - Adult Psychiatry
Full-time / 36hrs / 7a-7:30p - Benefit eligible
Summa Health System - St. Thomas Campus
***HIRE ON INCENTIVE AVAILABLE***
Summa Health System is recognized as one of the region’s top employers by a number of third party organizations, including NorthCoast 99. Exceptional candidates gravitate to Summa because of its culture, passion for delivering excellent service to our patients and families commitment to our philosophy of servant leadership, collegial working relationships at every level of the organization and competitive pay and benefits.
Under supervision of an RN, assists in attaining optimum and therapeutic patient care by:
- Communicating with the RN to provide and implement care to assigned patients and their significant other(s)
- Supports the patient care team by performing direct patient care duties (e.g., observing patient behavior, talking with patients, documenting observations and patient activity, reporting unusual observations/occurrences to the nurse, assisting in setting up areas for activities, and monitoring activities to ensure safety measures are taken, etc.)
- Supports the patient care team by performing patient care support duties related to environmental, dietary, transportation, supplies, light maintenance, and administrative/clerical tasks.
- Formal Education Required:
- Ability to read, write, and perform basic math.
- Experience and Training Required:
- Proven ability to read and write English, follow written and oral instructions, and perform basic mathematical functions
- Direct patient experience in a behavioral health and/or medical environment preferred.
- Must attain Nonviolent Crisis Intervention certification within one (1) year of
employment and maintain certification thereafter.
- Attain BLS-C certification during initial periods and maintain certification thereafter.
- Other Skills, Competencies and Qualifications:
- Ability to work well within a team environment: by accepting and offering honest and constructive feedback; by supporting team goals and encouraging other team members; and by collaborating with patient care team members to consolidate work, solve problems, create new methods, and/or reduce costs.
- Ability to understand and carry out the vision of patient care at Summa: to create patient care environment which is focused on the needs and expectations of the patient, our customer.
- Ability to be self-directed in executing responsibilities within a team structure.
- Ability to take initiative to contribute beyond the scope of formal duties (e.g. suggesting innovative ideas and providing feedback on a team’s direction)
- Shows flexibility/adaptability in meeting environmental constraints and demands placed on services as is common with changing reimbursement and managed care targets.
- Ability to communicate effectively with physicians and other health care professionals in exchanging information and assisting with patient care.
- Ability to communicate with patients, families, visitors and community representatives in assisting to achieve health care goals.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Ability to effectively interact with populations of patients/customers with the understanding of their needs for self-respect and dignity.
- Assumes accountability for demonstrating behaviors consistent with the customer service policy.
- Must complete training for the performance of venipuncture.
- Level of Physical Demands:
- Heavy: Exerts 50-100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 25 to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or ten to 20 pounds of force continuously to move objects.