Clinical Research Nurse PBL- Translational Science
Possesses knowledge and skill necessary to meet nursing standards for professional practice specified in Texas Nurse Practice Act without supervision. Provides professional nursing in a research unit, clinic or hospital setting for individuals involved in research studies. Safeguards the rights and well-being of study participants. Ensures general administrative, regulatory and participant activities are compliant with the study protocol, and all applicable regulations, policies, and procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION
Professional Practice and Performance: Nursing Process
- Assesses, plans, implements, evaluates and documents the daily care of assigned study participants.
- Performs routine technical procedures/skills according to study protocol.
- Uses professional nursing judgement in the administration of investigational and FDA approved medications, assesses participants during study visits to determine presence of side effects and notifies Principal Investigator (PI) of findings.
- Identifies and responds to adverse events requiring medical invention, implements appropriate care and notifies medical/research team.
- Ensures compliance with study protocol by providing thorough review and documentation at each study visit to capture protocol requirements.
Participant and Family Teaching
- Provides basic participant/family instruction and study‐specific teaching to study participants and families.
- Learns to identify unique learning needs based on values, barriers and readiness to learn.
- Learns to utilize evidence‐based teaching strategies such as teach‐back and return demonstration.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Registered nurse plus three years of professional nursing experience in direct patient care or research in an approved specialty areas.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS OR CERTIFICATIONS
- Current Texas license to practice professional nursing.
- Current BLS.
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.