Executive Director and Chief Diversity Officer
The Executive Director and Chief Diversity Officer, reports directly to the UTMB President, is responsible for providing strategic leadership in the development, implementation and management of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) programs and initiatives at UTMB. Has responsibility for program development and support of education initiatives, communications, evaluation of programs, and collaboration with hospital and system-wide DEI leadership.
The role will work closely with UTMB leaders, faculty, staff, students and external partners to ensure initiatives, resources and tools are effectively leveraged to drive business results and to ensure an inclusive and diverse population that aligns with and supports organizational goals.
Essential Job Functions:
- Leads all efforts of DEI strategy and objectives into attainable goals and plans that are aligned with UTMB’s vision, mission, and values of excellence, innovation, inclusion, civility, community and stewardship.
- Oversees the design of procedures to ensure compliance with internal polices and external diversity regulations.
- Develops institution-wide initiatives to increase knowledge and foster adoption of diversity and inclusion topics and best practices, and develops strategies to attract, develop, and retain members of underrepresented groups.
- Serves as institutional diversity and inclusion content expert, providing advice and guidance to institutional leaders to create and promote a welcoming, inclusive and respectful environment for faculty, staff, students, patients and other visitors.
- Coordinates diversity programming to address all dimensions of diversity and inclusion. Develops communication strategies and content for training and resources to support DEI initiatives.
- Researches, analyzes, and presents trends in the field of diversity, serving as an expert to develop new initiatives and stay abreast of competitors.
- Uses statistics, metrics, and reports to assess the progress and effectiveness of diversity initiatives.
- Understands, interprets, formulates, and evaluates policies and procedures related to diversity training, minority student organizations and cultural events as well as diversity awareness and multicultural programming.
- Assists with advising multicultural student organizations and employee resource groups on race and social inequalities.
- Completes evaluations, program reports and follow ups with assessments of retention programs and diversity and cultural events as necessary.
Marginal or Periodic Functions:
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Ability to plan, direct, and evaluate a complex operation, using human resources, time, funds, and other resources for the accomplishment of long-term and short-term goals of the institution
- Ability to handle multiple projects and coordinate a large number of student volunteers
- Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgment based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with diverse students, faculty, staff, and the public
- Ability to provide administrative guidance within area of responsibility, providing direct training and supervision as needed
- Ability to integrate resources, policies and information for the determination of procedures, solutions and other outcomes
- Ability to apply budgetary and fiscal planning techniques within financial constraints
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally, by phone, in person, and in writing
Master's degree and 5 years of experience designing or leading efforts to improve inclusion, multiculturalism, diversity, and equity in employment or education. Successful track record of strategic planning and building collaborative relationships among stakeholders to implement; and the ability to manage large-scale change management
A terminal degree (i.e. JD, EdD, PhD or foreign equivalent). 7 years of experience designing or leading efforts to improve inclusion, multiculturalism, diversity, and equity in employment or education. Experience in developing cross-departmental or cross-functional partnerships, advancing organizational change, operational leadership, conflict resolution. Experience presenting and creating in-person and virtual content to a diverse audience.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.